Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

Keybindings for moving from Desktop to Desktop just don't seem to work well. The ones for moving a Window using the arrow keys work. I can move from Desktop to another fairly well after editing to add in all my Desktops - I have 8 instead of the default 4.

But I really miss being able to use Ctrl + Fx to move a window to Desktop x. How would I do that in OB and where should it be put?

I can edit some xml stuff fine but really have no talent for new stuff.

With the problems with my internal drives I am using OB on an external for most of my day. This one thing is really bugging me. Gets right on my thungas.

Do a lot of chroot stuff for package update/upgrades and so forth. Open my scripts in WS2 (Desktop2) and run my # terminal on WS8. Under Xfce I just hit Ctrl + Alt + kp8 (keypad 8) and the focused window moves to WS8. Do quite a bit of other things with it now that I am used to it and really miss it.

When I get the internals working correctly again I will be working there most of the time. There I have one Sid install (VictimOS) which gets more use than my "other" Lizard. I generally run on Lounge Lizard (Sid). But I have a different set of chroot scripts that I use for the Loaner drive that I have placed in VictimOS so I go there about every day and work there.

VictimOS needed that stuff added so I would spend more time there. I really want to get OB working easily for me. Every improvement I make in VictimOS gets sent to the OB install on the Loaner and to this install on my other external (64OB) and the same happens with anything I "improve" here moving to VictimOS and to the Loaner.

I really like setting up stuff to work with key bindings when I can. Can only justify them for things I do a lot but the ones I use I really like.

While I can't see moving to OB, personally, any time soon as my go to DE I definitely want to make it as good as I can so that if Xfce goes nuts like Gnome did I have a system to go to.

I have dropped KDE and Gnome from the Loaner and only have Xfce, OB and Mate on there now. Have spent more time on OB there than I have on the other 2. I think that OB is definitely better to use than Mate (at least for me) and really want to have people see it in a good, easy to use setup.

That is the only install on there that has 4 user accounts set up. I think that OB is about the easiest thing to set up for a family shared box that may occasionally have a guest want to check their web mail on it.

The guest account has no permissions to see any files except for the user account 'guest' and the menu doesn't have any way to get the file browser up. Menu has one entry and that is the Exit entry. The thing comes up with no panel. Black screen and the web browser is in the autostart file for the guest account.

I figure that is going to take care of anyone snooping around on someones box without having to have someone breathing down their neck constantly.

The family model I used was for 2 parents and a child. One parent is the admin and the other is assumed to have root access but to not use it (trusting partners). Child account is readable by both parent accounts. Child can't get into their accounts at all. The menu set up in OB is great. Can be edited pretty easily with obmenu. Isn't in the menu for the child. So the kid needs to learn to edit the menu or use the cli to open any applications not on the menu. A learning process. My assumption is that the kid is early elementary school and can learn if they want. Parents can have control as long as they want.

Most people are menu oriented. I am not. I like the powerful features of the Xfce panel. I don't mind the absolute crap that passes as a menu in Xfce because I don't use the thing.

But if you want a multi user setup with a menu then you need total control of that menu, easily, and the way to go is OB. A lot of people, I think, would really like the setup I have on the Loaner for OB. I want it to be better still.

And I have to say that I certainly don't feel it a hardship to need to run OB most of the day. I spend about 30 minutes on one of the Lizards daily. If it were not for Xfce I would be using this all the time.

Discovered volumeicon-alsa (debian package name) and use it in my Xfce and OB system tray for volume control. I do anything here I do in Xfce and nearly as easily for my personal work flow. Really, really like it.

Just need to tweak a few things like the key bindings

Administrator

For keybindings, see the help section:
OpenBox keybindings

I assume you're not using tint2. Wouldmake it a lot easier for you.Now, if you want to cycle or go to desktops, the default in OB is middlemouse click. Another usefull tool in OB is obkey. You won't find it in the repos, hasn't been there for years. Strange really. But you can find the deb file on the web. And a total golden one is xdotool. I use it for tons of stuff onmy setup. Cornerbindings, spacefm custom launchers, desktop switchers and lord knows what. A must have. Anyway, middleclick.

I've been using OB like...forever really. Never looked back at any other wm. I've said it countless times before, OB is the way to go. IMHO it's waaay ahead than others and it's rocksolid. As far as the menu goes, there is nothing you can't add to it. All my installs are exactly the same. OB and tint2. Those two are just born for eachother. Volumeicon is something I always use. But it has a little bug though. When it is set to mute when clicking the icon,it tends to kill alsa. If it happens, one has to reanable alsa.

There are alternatives to volumeicon like volti, volwheel, pasystray (pulseaudio).... As far as the xfce-panel. It's not such a good idea to use xfce stuff in an openbox-session. Quite often they will clash. And as far as I know, there isn't a thing in xfce-panel that can't be done in OB/tint2. Not one.

If you have OB as an added DE on a system running Xfce you can use the Xfce panel in OB.

Doesn't work all that well but the launchers will work. You can't create the launchers. Basically a waste of time.

Tint2 is fine with me.

I like volumeicon because I couldn't get volti to work under Xfce well at all. I am perfectly willing to write that off as my fault.

Don't recall running into volwheel.

Don't use pulse at all. Remove it from systems that install it by default. I find it too limiting (while arguably easier to use) than just straight up alsa. Just don't like it.

Leppie wrote:

For keybindings, see the help section:
OpenBox keybindings
I have no idea how I missed that page. Will give that a shot later tonight.

Thanks a bunch.

Cromag wrote:

I assume you're not using tint2. Wouldmake it a lot easier for you.Now, if you want to cycle or go to desktops, the default in OB is middlemouse click. Another usefull tool in OB is obkey. You won't find it in the repos, hasn't been there for years. Strange really. But you can find the deb file on the web. And a total golden one is xdotool. I use it for tons of stuff onmy setup. Cornerbindings, spacefm custom launchers, desktop switchers and lord knows what. A must have. Anyway, middleclick.
Actually I use tint2. Got early help on that from some strange character from Belgium on a forum with a very similar name to this one. I find it works quite well.

There are a number of OB tools not available in the Debian repos.

I just checked for xdotool though and it most certainly is but not installed here on 64OB
tom@openbox:~$ acp xdotool
xdotool:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1:3.20160805.1-3
Version table:
1:3.20160805.1-3 500
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages

Checked the description and it sounds like a good one to have. So
tom@openbox:~$ acp xdotool
xdotool:
Installed: 1:3.20160805.1-3
Candidate: 1:3.20160805.1-3
Version table:
*** 1:3.20160805.1-3 500
500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Need to do some running but will be trying that tonight too.

Middle click is alright for some things. Standard x11 function. Use it occasionally under both Xfce and OB. But doesn't fit my hand all that well if you know what I mean. I like key bindings in moderate numbers.

Cromag wrote:

I've been using OB like...forever really. Never looked back at any other wm. I've said it countless times before, OB is the way to go. IMHO it's waaay ahead than others and it's rocksolid. As far as the menu goes, there is nothing you can't add to it. All my installs are exactly the same. OB and tint2. Those two are just born for eachother. Volumeicon is something I always use. But it has a little bug though. When it is set to mute when clicking the icon,it tends to kill alsa. If it happens, one has to reanable alsa.
Have never run into that problem but mine goes to mute if you go below 22. Irritating but I don't go below that except by accident anyway.

Got shifting windows to different desktops working. Big improvement in workflow.

Thanks for the tips and the link.