Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

mega.nz.
Maybe misread site.

Administrator

This is what I get, and what I expected...
An account is free, they give you the option to try their service without account though.

enter image description here

Ok. Misread it. Thanks. Better than Dropbox then.

yes, I have a mega account. However, when you upload files they are encrypted. Which is ok, however, if you are sharing files, you have to give people a "password" - which you can get from mega - in order to download the file.

it's not a big deal and is probably more useful for actual files, but not for images.
in my opinion.

I don't know why my link to flickr didn't show the image here, but at least the link works.

Administrator

You don't have to give people a password, as it should provide you the option to create a link with a decryption key.
This key is not your master decryption key that gives access to your entire account.

Mega looks like an interesting option. Will look into it when I am coherent.

Leppie wrote:

Though I still use Dropbox, it would probably be better to use some other platform like mega.nz.
With Mega you get 50 GB for free. I don't know about the maximum file size though.
Would it be possible to link to an image from Mega here on the forums?

Administrator

rh, you probably will like mega.nz as the owner got busted by the feds for his previous website megauploads.com and he therefore does not want to cooperate with the feds (so no backdoors).

Actually Dotcom has no connection with Mega anymore. His ex wife owns his interest in it still but that is only 7%.

I created a free account last night. Seems to work well.

Still experimenting on it. Have found doing uploads is a challenge on the speeds I have but that is certainly not anything to do with that storage service.

Seems easy enough to use. I just have a bunch of photos I want to upload. About 15G of them.

Administrator

Google drive doesn't seem to works here for avatar links.