Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.
Administrator

It says it needs a "manual fsck"

I need commands. I know I'm not giving much help here but when someone shows up I can give more if you ask the right questions

"If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Administrator

Hi Cecilia.
I can't help much, as I haven't done any command line stuff for ages. But...

for what fsck is, look here in the WIki
Wikipedia article

Have you got a running Linux system? Run

man fsck

to see the command options. Maybe you can figure out what you need to run.

Administrator

ok

this happened after I got a notification to upgrade. It all looked normal, but I suspect it was only a partial and may affect others

I'm actually surprised but it looks as if something went wrong

"If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Administrator

what I think I'm trying to say is that this "half-assed" upgrade messed up the file system. I need a command to fix that

looking here https://linux.die.net/man/8/fsck
I'm at a loss as to what I need to write exactly

ugh, I hate this

Administrator

ok, I'm look at the screen

and it says root filesystem on dev/sda7 requires manual fsck

so I'm going to type in

fsck /dev/sda7

it says Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list found. Fix?

I guess I'll say yes

Administrator

it asked for a number of fixes all of which I said yes to

at initramfs I wrote Exit

and now it did a reboot although the res looks weird but I can fix that I hope

Administrator

right now the only issue is that the display is 800x600 which is incorrect but it doesn't offer a different res

damn

Administrator

ok, nevermind..... I rebooted and my normal 1920x1080 returned

duh

thanks

Administrator

ok, I'm back on my normal laptop instead of my chromebook

whew! that was some crazy adventure

Administrator

Glad you got it fixed. Sorry I couldn't be more help. 🙂