Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

Got a couple changelog messages about openbox-menu that I don't comprehend.

Here is the stuff as I saved it - so the newest is at the top. These are the only OB ones I have. Been collecting the things for 2 years now.
openbox (3.6.1-6) unstable; urgency=medium

• After many bug reports configuration with openbox-menu has been replaced
    by simple python script to generate dynamic menu.

-- Mateusz Łukasik mati75@linuxmint.pl Mon, 08 Jan 2018 12:27:40 +0100

openbox (3.6.1-5) unstable; urgency=medium

• Start with this release menu is replaced by openbox-menu. If you still
    using old style menu please replace configuration file with your own.

-- Mateusz Łukasik mati75@linuxmint.pl Sun, 20 Aug 2017 14:42:12 +0200

The oldest one, from Aug, seems pretty straight forward but I have always used openbox-menu so I ignored it.

The new one I have not seen any results from because it came in a chroot environment run from testing and doing a Sid install. I didn't pop over there as it is on my internals and I try to stay off there except to log into one install and keep all up to date, and get out until I get at least one new drive. But I may have to go to my Sid install there instead of the testing one just to try and figure this out.

To put it simply;
What the hell are they talking about?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. That message simply baffles me.
"- After many bug reports configuration with openbox-menu has been replaced
by simple python script to generate dynamic menu."

All the words seem to be understandable but the entire sentence seems like gibberish.

Guess that's why I saw an update to Open box either yesterday or this morning then.

This was an upgrade for openbox-menu.

Might had been early of the morning because brain was still not functioning. I just remember open box flashing across with the other.

Administrator

ranchhand wrote:

This was an upgrade for openbox-menu.

I don't remember a package called "openbox-menu". I do, though, for ob-menu. Probably irrelevant.

"- After many bug reports configuration with openbox-menu has been replaced
by simple python script to generate dynamic menu."

That bit sounds like either your openbox menu is now user configured with in python or that the openbox menu is now some degree of automatic. In other words, newly installed programs show up by themselves. The first option, to my mind, is BAD! no cookie for you BAD! I probably wouldn't mind the second one, as long as it's clear which parts of the menu are user defined and STAY that way.

This all conjecture. None of it should be considered anything but a barely educated guess.

There's obmenu and openbox menu. Openbox menu is a generated menu. Never used that. It's the one with the icons.

Administrator

So I was right. (Sort of.) That's because I'm awesome!

Looks like it really just means they're dropping openbox-menu in favor of a python script that will do the same thing. Likely means it's easier to maintain. Certainly smaller.

Just wondering.

Not sure why openbox-menu is even installed on here. Don't remember doing that. Have never complained to them myself but the damned thing doesn't work well. I don't use it.

May have to rethink that or at least give it a whack to see what it does.

Administrator

Since it's discontinued, a better option might be to purge it and install the script that replaces it and see what it does and how well.

Administrator

ranchhand wrote:

... the damned thing doesn't work well. I don't use it.

Well, the message states:

After many bug reports

So, my "guess" is that the generation of the dynamic menu wasn't working for a lot of people, and that's why they changed it to a simple python script.