Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.
Administrator

warfacegod wrote:

The problem with a "flip-phone" for me is that I need some web access. Maps and such. I'm in the middle of a halfassed city. NOT my natural habitat. 'Course, the real problem is getting money get a phone.

that nokia is not a flip phone. it's more like the 3310, but with colour screen and costs about $20 so I doubt you will have web access on it.

Warfie I was going to tell you that I have a phone you could have. After rereading I reliezed what I have is a flip phone, the wife gave it to me and it has been sitting on my desk for close to a year I have never used it and I don't know a thing about it. So probably not what yiu need.
dinga

Administrator

The thought is much appreciated. I'll figure something out.

That Nokia has web acces

NO PHONE!!!!!!

How do you exist?

Seems like you HAVE to have a phone with you all the time to be considered alive anymore. I have had a cell phone for about 5 or 6 years and wasn't real thrilled with getting one at that time. Hasn't really grown on me since.

Handy at times. But I really don't see any real benefit to it.

Have looked some things up but the service here is crap and that doesn't always work well. Anytime I really want something I am out of service.

But everyone here seems addicted to the buggers. They use them all the time.

What gets me, and Karen, is that people will sit in the bar and text people that are sitting next to them rather than just talk. And they HAVE to check FB about every 15 minutes.

In large, unfamiliar towns this could be handy. Service should be good. I don't like using them for navigation because most of them have GPS and track you everywhere you go if you have it enabled. It is disabled on mine partially because we have spotty satellite coverage and it eats your battery up trying to get connected.

With as much information as they get on you from just tracking the phone the providers should be paying people to use them. With all the available bells and whistles in most phones, like GPS and the inertial detection stuff, the information collected will give you, in time, pretty accurate height, weight, length of arms and legs, where you carry your phone. Pretty interesting really but to a grumpy geezer rather alarming.

I prefer the land line phones. You can unplug them easily.

But they are not very portable and don't connect to the internet. That is good or bad depending on the needs of the person using them. I don't think most people actually need a cell phone at all.

Administrator

Construction and remodeling... Cells come in very handy. Plus navigation in cities I don't know. Like the one I'm in now.

Administrator

Speaking of... Anybody got a smart phone they don't want anymore?

Belive it or not. Someone once sent me an entire laptop when I was in trouble. Thank you once more Nick!

Administrator

There are, somehow, still decent human beings left on this planet.