Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

I am really, really shocked right now. I migrated our R&D lab (we are a very small team that develop automated scientific instruments) from Windows XP to Windows 10 last year, solving a lot of issues with well, everything, and using VMs to run old windows XP custom data loggers for instruments (weird custom serial APIs).

However, the forced updates, lock-screens, and unsigned-driver issues (serial port adapters, USBASP programmers, etc.) with Windows 10 have been an absolute nightmare. Its been whack-a-mole with problems due to the changes made on Windows 10 (every other system update requires redefining COM ports), and any attempt to be "future-proof" utilizing Microsoft platforms has proven to be a an exercise in futility.

We've been able to leapfrog a few technologies and migrate to very simple cloud-based data storage of instrument testing data (for R&D and for customers), and in doing that we started building up some rudimentary Python & Javascript understanding in house. Just enough to let us have our IoT systems send data to different cloud-hosted databases.

I am an ignorant old countryboy (80years old) I have been using linux for 15 years found it different but easier to use then windows. Took me less then a week to be proficient enough for it become my favorite operating system.

Thank you

vasantmaurya wrote:

I am really, really shocked right now. I migrated our R&D lab (we are a very small team that develop automated scientific instruments) from Windows XP to Windows 10 last year, solving a lot of issues with well, everything, and using VMs to run old windows XP custom data loggers for instruments (weird custom serial APIs).

However, the forced updates, lock-screens, and unsigned-driver issues (serial port adapters, USBASP programmers, etc.) with Windows 10 have been an absolute nightmare. Its been whack-a-mole with problems due to the changes made on Windows 10 (every other system update requires redefining COM ports), and any attempt to be "future-proof" utilizing Microsoft platforms has proven to be a an exercise in futility.

We've been able to leapfrog a few technologies and migrate to very simple cloud-based data storage of instrument testing data (for R&D and for customers), and in doing that we started building up some rudimentary Python & Javascript understanding in house. Just enough to let us have our IoT systems send data to different cloud-hosted databases.

can you be more precise?