Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.
Administrator

Hello everyone, and welcome back to Open Linux Forums. We're still straightening things out a little around here, but hopefully everything should be back to normal soon enough.

The first thing you may notice is that we're using different forum software! This is FlaskBB instead of the old guard, SMF. I picked this software for a number of reasons:

• It's written in python, which I know fairly well and can probably fix if something breaks
  • It's written by sh4nks, a programmer whose libraries I've used in production software before
  • It doesn't require javascript for most of its functionality (although it does make the post editor a little nicer)
  • I like it

There are a few differences from the older forum, though - the main one being that this forum uses markdown instead of bbcode for formatting posts. In my opinion, this is a net win. Markdown is much easier on the eyes and is human readable even when not rendered. If you're confused, click the question mark icon in the post editor.

Administrator

Are there more themes for this forum software in the make?

Administrator

None that I know of. If we want to we can write our own, the theme system (Jinja2) is much easier to write for than SMF's.

Administrator

As a personal thing, I would like to have a dark theme.

All the white is too bright on the screen.