Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

He publicly came out in '98, but he wanted to publicly come out right at the start but the record company kept advising him not to.
But yeah, people are a hell of a lot more accepting these days. It's not perfect, but it is safer.
From personal experience if I had come out as a "girl in a boy's body" (the closest description I had at the time) back in the 80's, I probably wouldn't be alive now. Whereas in the two and a bit years I been out, the worst that's happened to me is I got assaulted twice by dimwits, and a couple of times whilst using the ladies bathroom at the local shopping centre, I've had security turn up whilst I'm washing my hands, look me up and down before making a show of washing their hands. Then when I leave the bathroom there'll be someone (usually a guy) glaring at me.

Administrator

According to Wikipedia, you're right about '98. I, however, seem to recall knowing several years before that. In fact, I'm almost certain I remember him being gay for the first Fight album. That was the early 90's. Whether my memory is flawed or not, in hindsight it is astounding that essentially no one picked up on it before he came out. It's just so obvious, really.

I know right

Just look at the fashion, the black leather and steel studs that everyone thinks of as the "metal look" was started by Rob Halford, but what he was actually doing was the 70's, 80's gay BDSM look, which was and still is.....
Black leather and steel studs. How the hell did no one make the connection?

Administrator

If you go back and read the lyrics and song titles, it's also obvious. Even some of the album covers.

True

But getting back to the whole trans thing, because it's very different to being gay. Being gay is about who you love. Being trans is about who you are. And trans people can be gay, straight, bi, pansexual, or even asexual.

Punk rock icon Laura Jane Grace starred in a great short documentary series "True Trans" after she came out as trans in 2012, it show cases her experiences and other members of the trans community

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCIWuFB3vE&list=PLmK3amy7CGfGtlX6nnO6P3e9kAbX66opm

It help clear up some of your confusion, and answer some questions as well as featuring some great music