Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

And speaking of my nephew, he's just rejoined these guys

Administrator

Miss_Jay wrote:

...and I'm still not sure what's going in with the 1st 5 frets of the guitar either. My nephew reckons it's for better intonation with down tuning, not sure I see how.

Not just the first five frets, I think. It seems to go all the way up the neck, and the frets up near the body tip the other way. Seems like the nut is slanted too, which goes well with downtuning. Longer strings for a lower tone.

Must be bloody hard to play, though.

Administrator

I've been seeing splayed necks for a few years now. At least, that's what I assume you're talking about. My connection isn't fast enough right now to watch these. Splayed neck guitars don't strike me as being really any more difficult to play than a standard neck. What is definitely harder is more strings. Not because of the added strings themselves so much but the wider neck.

This is what I meant:
https://www.ormsbyguitars.com/what-is-a-multiscale.html
Also just discovered the concept is nowhere near new :o

Administrator

Miss_Jay wrote:

This is what I meant:

Well, they're Australian made, so they must be good (even if it is in Perth...wink ).

The "how does it work" bit all makes sense. Take off about 10% bullshit as sales pitch and enthusiasm for ones own developement, and it is all very believable.

Still not sure about the playability, though. All the good guitarists that I have picked stuff up from over the years said that the fretting finger should always land directly behind the fret, and always the same distance behind the fret.
For example, this guy was at uni at the same time as me. I got on fairly well with him, and watched him play fairly often. Was always very impressed with the left hand work: very relaxed, but very precise at the same time.

So with a "splayed neck" I kind of wonder how the stretch on the lower strings works out, and if the frets on the high strings might not be a bit too close together at the end positions.
I suppose it is like any instrument: you have to practice on the particular instrument and get to know it to get the most out of it.

Administrator

Miss_Jay wrote:

This is what I meant:
https://www.ormsbyguitars.com/what-is-a-multiscale.html
Also just discovered the concept is nowhere near new :o

Yep. Splayed necked. I also hear the term fanned neck. Pretty sure there's one in the Beyond Creation video I posted a few months ago. Also, if I recall, only one of the two guitarists is playing one. The other is standard. Odd that.

Administrator

So I finally saw the Indian videos. First time I've ever seen Indians simply being cool and not TRYING to be cool. First one reminds me of Allegeon's videos. They don't take it seriously at all. Second one has this Anthrax/Public Enemy vibe. I'm going to watch these guys.

Your nephews band was decent. They had a Killswitch thing going for most of it without being a copycat. Not usually my cup of beer but it'll do, in a pinch. Til the end. They swerve across four lanes with that breakdown heavy Emmure and ten million other bands horse shit. Go take the boy's Metal Card away and make him sit in the corner with Piece Of Mind, Reign In Blood, and any randomly chosen Dio album.

Who'd like to restring this thing?

Not me :p

Administrator

Me neither.

Strikes me as a tiny bit of a wank, to be quite honest... wink

Administrator

That's djent for you. Wankers with weird toys making weird music.