Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

Testing must be getting ready for some crap. Had 22 upgrades, zero dist-upgrades last night and 34 upgrades and zero dist-upgrades tonight. Stable had only 2 upgrades tonight.

Administrator

I think that's the just the nature of the differences between "stable" and "testing".

Stable is supposed to be more static.

Mostly security updates on stable. Kernels, libs, FF, TB etc. Testing seems to be getting more and more lately.

Administrator

More updates sounds like they are working towards a new stable release.

Buster will have some work due on it for a bit yet I think. Didn't Stretch just release not too long ago? But testing has been busy that's for sure and sounds like Sid has also.

Administrator

Debian has been shortening their release cycles by a lot in the last few versions.
Before that it was like almost 10 years before a new stable was released.

Administrator

From my casual use, it often seems to me that they slow down updates on testing before it becomes stable. I think they do freezes similar to Ubuntu's, just on a longer timescale.

One thing I do like about when Debian goes to stable it's not a rush job that needs to be done by a certain time frame but when it's ready instead. Had twenty something upgrades in testing today and one for stable. But I do like it. Can remember when I got talked into using Squeeze,

I've been using Debian for quite a while now. I have never ever seen it "ready". Never.

I was surprised to see all the updates hit Stable that time. Usually get a couple here and there. Had a group that time. Been getting a lot of them almost every day now with Testing. Don't use Sid so wouldn't know how it's been going. Have gotten used to the way Debian does their thing now and so far don't have that many issues with it. Did have a couple that when reported was taken care of real quick like.