Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

Man, it took me for ages to get it to work. Both xarchiver and file-roller gave me an unrecognizable file format error whenever I clicked any type of file. Exept when clicking a compressed (tar,gz,zip......whatever) file. But I was looking for a command for compressing any type of file. I finally ended up with creating a desktopfile in /usr/share/applications. Couldn't get it to work with xarchiver, but it works a charm with file-roller like so:

file-roller -d

Edit: applied code tags

I seem to be using both. The thunar-archive-plugin is using the file roller but supposedly going to xarchiver later. Maybe some other update will happen. But think it's the 'archive manager' file roller I'm mostly using. For some reason it acts better with me.

Administrator

I tend to just user tar for my compressing/uncompressing activities.

Something like the following is very good:

tar czvf /path/to/new/archive.tgz /path/to/files/to/compress

With the "z" option, you will get a gzipped tar file (tgz/tar.gzip).
And I believe that tar is multi-threaded nowadays.

What about password protection on it during the compression like with the other? Does it do that?

Administrator

For password protected files, you could try something like this:

tar czvf - /path/to/files/to/compress | crypt > /path/to/new/archive.tgz.crypt

I've never tried it myself, so you might have to tweak that command a little.

Or the following:

tar czvf - /path/to/files/to/compress | pgp --symmetric /path/to/new/archive.tgz.pgp

I was aiming at opening the compress window, not the file roller or xarchiver window. For some reason whenever I clicked a file to compress it, it loaded the entire file-roller or xarchiver window with an archive error (dragging a file into the window worked though). Didn't want that of course,but moreover, I wanted the compress submenu to open. (In Puppy I use PackIt for that same purpose.)With that command I've got exactly that. And with creating a desktop entry I can add it to the right-click menus of filemanagers. Strangely enough it didn't work with a script which it normally does. O yeah, it's true that file-roller will be replaced with xarchiver. Which is strange since xarchiver hasn't been maintained for quite a while now. But hey, Puppy uses xarchive and it works.

For some reason I tend to like file roller over xarchiver.