Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

I use the apt-get clean but just created an alias for it in the bash.rc for root. Then when in root I'll just type cln after I'm done with it. I haven't created anything for the others. But just the clean one. So at the root prompt I just type cln and let it take care of it.

Looking at some of those other commands for bash on the purge etc I might go ahead and add some of those to the .bashrc for root. also. Look good.

HP Pailion a1440n Desktop running 64bit Devuan Xfce Stable and MX Xfce

Asus A53S Laptop running GhostBSD Xfce
Old knuckle dragging maintainers never give up. Give us a bigger wrench.

Trying to figure how you run the clean in regular xterm. I've got setup in my root's .bashrc.

## to clean up
alias cln='apt-get clean'

#

I did that by going into my root terminal and going

# pluma /root/.bashrc

I setup the root's .bashrc like that all the time. But does look like I might be adding some of the other that's listed there into the root .bashrc. Create some more aliases. Thanks for the list.

Well,I posted the how-to. You have to execute something in the terminal command. You can add a hold in order not to close the terminal if you like. So, point the terminal to what you want to be executed.

`/usr/bin/xterm  -hold -e /path/to whatever`

Edit: code box

Works the same with xfce4 terminal. Any terminal that has a -H (hold) option really.

I don't open this in a rootterminal. Plain xfce4-terminal. The executable scripts's somewhere in the scripts folder. I just point the terminal to execute it. The script prompts for my passwd.

Asking for the root password. Ok. That clears up something in back of mind. Still a 'superuser' when using script.

Well, it prompts for a sudo password, but as far as I can tell it picks the keyring's first. It should be possible to get rid of the sudo in the script.

Well, put it somewhere, make it executable, change the user's name and profiles and see what gives.