Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

I had planned to tell you of this great os, unfortunatly the os is in German and I have maybe a dozen words in German. So this will have to wait untill I learn to read German.

Knoppix is available in English. It's mainly built as a live iso, but you can make a persistent usb. A bit weird, compiz is installed by default yet it comes with the lxde environment. But it also packs a gnome environment,hence compiz.

When I first started using Linux someone loaned me their cd of Knoppix. Didn't explain anything just said try it. I did. Gave back next day. Almost turned me against Linux until an IT security guy burned a cd of Ubuntu 8.04 for me. I do remember reading where some have installed it and then see them asking all kinds of questions on how to do things on it. After that one experience of using it I never tried it again. Wish you luck on it.

Administrator

Not sure why knoppix almost turned you against linux.
The beauty of it is that it just works on nearly any machine.

I wanted to try it as a os on a disk, never had one before I have tried puppy on a usb and that was fun.

I may be wrong but I think Knopix was the first bunch to actually produce a Live Session.

Even if they didn't produce the first one they produced the one that became a standard tool in the box for people working on computer problems.

Pretty much the standard tool for rescuing W95 was the impression I got from my research before we got our first computer in 98. Was my first hint that Linux existed.

We decided, due to software we were familiar with somewhat availability, to go with W98 but kept an eye on Linux.

When my son got disgusted with one of the W* versions in 01 or 02 I suggested he look into Linux. He looked around and played with Knopix to see if he could straighten out the problems he was having. Ended up fixing his Windows problem in a more sensible manner and simply installed the current Mandrake at that time over Windows. His wife was not pleased.

But when we got the Vista box he returned the favor and recommended Ubuntu to us as a good place to start.

I usually have an ISO from Knopix but don't currently. Generally like building my own rescue setups and using them installed on an external.

You may want to take a look at Kanotix which was sort of forked from Knopix. Or built up Knopix to be bloated depending on who you reference. Is intended to install as well as be used as a Live Session for the same reasons as Knopix.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanotix

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=kanotix

English website for Kanotix - also put out by Germans
http://kanotix.com/changelang-eng.html

Based on Stretch. I haven't looked at it for a couple years either.

Administrator

Yeah, knoppix is a bit much for new guys.

Leppie wrote:

Not sure why knoppix almost turned you against linux.
The beauty of it is that it just works on nearly any machine.

Mainly because I didn't know anything about it and the individual didn't say jack shit about it just handed to me and said take home and try it out. Was thinking that if all was like that then didn't want. But the IT security explained a lot to me and then said to try out Ubuntu that Knoppix wasn't the one I should be starting out on. I've not even looked at it since that first time.

Administrator

The first distro I ever tried installing was Debian... which failed miserably (for more than 1 reason).

At a certain point during my attempts to install Debian, I downloaded Knoppix which ran perfectly fine without any real input from me.
And this was during the early days of PnP, when it actually was commonly (and very fittingly) referred to as "Plug n Pray".

Administrator

I had a look at Knoppix once. It ran fine, but I can remember sitting in front of it and thinking "ok, but what is this good for?".