Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.
Administrator

I was in the joint with a guy that lost his forefinger to a chainsaw. He said that he barely noticed the difference, once he was healed. The main thing was that objects sometimes fit differently in his hand. They balanced differently. Think of it as holding an axe handle with your pointer finger still open. The handle will shift/rotate slightly forward in your hand.

Personally, it's not something I would adapt to easily. I'm an extremely hand oriented person. I suspect I would feel less of a man, if I were to lose a finger. Especially a fore finger. Losing that one on my right hand would effectively end my ability to draw. I've already got carpal tunnel in my right hand and it's taken me more than a decade to adjust to that.

Administrator

warfacegod wrote:

Personally, it's not something I would adapt to easily. I'm an extremely hand oriented person. I suspect I would feel less of a man, if I were to lose a finger.

Yes, there is that, but that is something else. I know what you mean, too. The fingernail looks horrible at the moment, and I am hoping fervently that it is going to improve. I don't want to have to live with a dodgy fingernail.

As far as the functionality goes, the chainsaw guy was right: When the finger was still completely useless, the only real problem was that it was constantly in the way. If it hadn't been, I would hardly have had a problem with that hand. As I said, the middle finger takes over, and you barely notice. Even with writing, which must be similar to drawing. The only real problem I am having with writing is that I refuse to get into the habit of writing "without" the forefinger, and so it is clumsy because the forefinger is still clumsy.