Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

The good lady Needs to up grade her laptop (having trouble with older Firefox browser) not being able to open up some of the places she needs to go.
I thought Devuan might be good for her so I tried to load Devuan to her laptop. Now it is locked up demanding a administrative password to allow you in. I have never had an administrative password ever, and I have no idea how many OS,s I have installed. In the last 15 years. Normally by pressing the Esc button repetitively you can get to the Boot menu not now, you go directly to Administrative password. Anyone have and idea how to over come this problem?

Administrator

so, her regular password doesn't work?
I've never had this issue but all of my recent installs are Ubuntu

Administrator

As far as I unterstand it, the first user registered during installation is automatically "the administrator", so the user password for that user is the "administrator" password. That is "generally speaking" for LInux. I haven't specifically looked at Devuan. (but I might. I have an old netbook here that needs a "light" distro...)

Also: it is entirely possible to have more that one administrator. The password of any user with administrator rights on the computer should be acceptable, I think.

Did you set up a user password at any point during the installation? If so, try that.

Otherwise, how much of a fuss would it be to install it again fresh?

No password that she uses works to get pass this. Doing a hard shut down and restarting while repeatably pressing the Esc button should bring up the boot menu instead you get the same administration password box. I have many othe OS's that I could put on the laptop if I could get to the boot menu.

dinga

Administrator

what about an "empty" password. ie, press enter without typing anything?

If you press enter without typing you get a beping sound and the screen stays the same.

dinga

Administrator

nubimax wrote:

...pressing the Esc button should bring up the boot menu ...

Can you get into the BIOS?
If so, you might be able to change the boot sequence such that it looks at the USB ports before it looks at the hard drive.

In that state and with a bootable USB stick (thumb-drive) plugged in before the computer is started, it should boot from that.

cannot get any where but to the box that wants the administration pass word I have been wondering if I could plug into the laptop from another computer and by pass the administration password that way nothing I have tried so far has worked.

dinga

Administrator

nubimax wrote:

... wondering if I could plug into the laptop from another computer and by pass the administration password that way ...

Don't know for sure that this would not be possible, but I am sceptical about whether it could work.

Is there a capable shop in your area where you could get some help?

If all is lost, you could still pull the drive out and put it in an external plug-in casing. Then you can pull any files off that are important and to be kept onto another machine, and then format the drive.

With the drive back in the laptop, you should be, as far as I know, starting from scratch.

Having said that, I would have to do some research myself if I were to go about that, just to make sure I'm doing things the right way.

I pulled all the files out before I tried to put on a newer OS so there is nothing on it to worry about. I will look around for a repair shop to take it too. I put myself on a waiting list at systems 76 to buy a new laptop for the good lady.

dinga