Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

So, decided to give the regular firefox (56 not 57) a spin. So far, it's the snappiest one they've made. But....of all my addons, and their are about five, only two work. Some kind of new policy. So, to me it's pretty much unusable really. Keeping it on the box somewhere and continue with my day-to-day browser.

I'm still using the 52.4 ESR. Was it some addons that not being updated being kicked out of use there or something else?

They have some kind of different policy towards addons.Addons are now webextensions ...something. Haven't really read it yet. Anyhow, this fox is reaaaly fast. At a certain point I switched to vivaldi, but I manged to do something to it and it became really sluggish in terms of booting up aaand cpu usage during videos. So I switched back to palemoon which is by far the fastest ( I haven't got a clue how they do it). Well, this version of firefox is pretty much the same speedwise. And I haven't even tweaked it. But halas, that addon stuff. So far I managed to install a dated (according to mozilla), but working, omnisidebar, a dated "open bookmarks in new tab", "turn off the light" and "uBlock". Two addons I need don't work yet, yet. Tab utilities and stylish. But I'm sure the devs will work out a compatible version. I hope the tab utilities dev hurries.

Oh yeah...had to install pulse of course.

That sucks. Looks like it's going to be harder to use FF at times then. They started wanting people to use pulse a while back too.

Administrator

Firefox has finally become a true multi-process browser, the one feature of chrome that I actually wished firefox had. In short, it's more stable, more secure, and faster at the cost of higher resource usage. It still doesn't use as much memory as chrome, but it's more than the older versions. I think the trade-off is worth it, you won't really feel the burn unless you have 2 GB or less of RAM.

They're also backporting the CSS engine from servo, which is properly multithreaded and thus much faster.

Unpopular opinion: I actually don't mind pulseaudio. It's much more feature-rich than straight-up alsa and is stable now that there are more devs working it than just Poettering.

Since Palemoon is somewhere at version 27, gtk themes look ugly on it. So, since I use dark themes, I wanted palemoon to match the Arc theme. The Arc themes are available as a theme collection at Mozilla's addons site. Not available for Pale. FF 56 pretty much adapts it out of the box though. So, did some css tweaking with the use of the stylish addon on Palemoon and I managed to match it exactly. https://github.com/horst3180/arc-firefox-theme . In fact, due to the use of the tab utilities addon, Icould even make it cleaner. Such as, no close buttons on tabs, no padding here and there...Nice.

The 'theme collection' on Mozilla won't work on Palemoon? Just curious. I found some addons there that will work and some that won't. Hopefully Palemoon will be incorporating them also or come out with own that's similar. I know that I had issues finding a downloader that would work for getting videos from youtoube there at first. But I really like Palemoon.

Many things won't work on palemoon. That collection certainly won't. As for a youtube downloader....good luck. Don't think there's any that still works.

Thought I had something on it working before. Know I had downloaded there. But now not finding anyway to download. Damn.