Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

Good news is that Gimp 2.10 which I have been awaiting with bated breath has landed in Sid.

Kind of. Actually the package upgrade should be avoided as Gimp ends up being removed due to the lack, currently, of the appropriate gimp-data package to go with it.

I ran the package upgrade to see what happened. Sid is the secondary OS on this drive so not a big deal with me. I am using testing as the primary OS.

I find it strange that gimp and gimp-data have never shown up in an 'apt-cache policy gimp' (or gimp-data) query output. Gimp-data doesn't now either.

If it were there I would install it over on the Sid install. Would have a while ago actually.

Hopefully this means that the Debian crew thinks it is all good and just need to get their act together and get the .debs done and in the repo.

2.10 is supposed to feature non destructive editing which is really the only real disadvantage to using Gimp. It is not a disadvantage to most users but is pretty important to people that really like to do post processing of digital photos for more than just touching them up, cropping and scaling for screen or internet viewing.

I will post further developments on this in this thread.

This sort of thing is more common in Sid than testing but the only real difference between Sid and testing is the 'rule' that RC bugs in packages should not be released to the testing repos. RC bugs being defined as packages that will prevent the OS from booting to the desktop. But this is not that sort of bug at all. It merely removes Gimp. There is no rule that prevents that sort of thing in either sid or testing.

It does make me look at the list of packages to be removed in both sid and testing pretty closely. Have had 2 x11 upgrades this testing cycle (Debian10) in Sid that definitely would have prevented booting to a desktop. Just removed most, or all of, x11 packages and the stuff like any DE that depends on that stuff.

Learned to watch out for that stuff really closely in Ubuntu-testing. They always blamed it on "upstream" (Debian). I always believed that until I installed Debian testing along with the Ubuntu-testing things. Did that, at first, just to get a heads up on the crap Debian was sending to poor Canonical. Then discovered that there were no such problems with Debian testing in about 85 to 95% of the cases where there was a problem in Ubuntu-testing.

This turns out to be caused by Ubuntu not using Debian testing, or even Sid, packages but just grabbing them from the Debian experimental repo. I Debian the testing dev team actually uses those packages in testing to detect bugs and this is why, if using apt-listbugs, there are bugs filed against package that are new to Sid most times. This makes Sid actually more stable than Ubuntu-testing way too often for comfort.

Also goes a long ways in explaining the number of serious bugs that turn up in about every new release of new "stable" Ubuntu versions. This is particularly true of the "regular" Ubuntu versions which are nominally based on Sid but also the LTS versions nominally based on Debian testing. They pull in a LOT of packages straight from the Debian experimental repo for both.

I expect this to not effect Debian testing but I will be watching any Gimp package upgrades VERY carefully in testing until this switch to Gimp2.10 is complete. I have, as a precaution, put the package Gimp on hold in testing.

# apt-mark hold Gimp

interesting.
I should look into this version.

https://www.gimp.org/news/2018/04/27/gimp-2-10-0-released/

http://gegl.org/

I am on the internal drive now doing the update/upgrade chores. No bug filed on the Gimp package and package upgrade installed smoothly tonight on 2 Sid installs in chroot.

I have not tried it yet and am working in Stoned Lizard which is a testing install. Will be booting to my external again when done and will log in to the Xfce Sid install, install Gimp and see how that goes, try it out and see if it works.

Installation went fine. This is definitely still a work in progress though.

~/.gimp-2.8 is still the user land config file not gimp-2.10.

There is a bug relating to the package libmypaint that is associated with gimp. It allows for the use of My Paint brushes to be used in Gimp. Apparently this doesn't work well (if at all). Doesn't bother me as I am not sure what My Paint even is or what platform it is for (I assume Win but it could, I suppose be for Mac). Probably be fixed soon.

People that like dark themes should be pleased. Gimp, since at least 2.6 when I first used it, has had 2 themes. Default and Small.

Now has Dark, Gray, Light(?), and the option of using the system theme. I abhor dark themes. But Dark appears to be the default and when it came up it really wasn't, to me, bad at all. I changed it to the lighter Gray theme and actually used it some there as having the image window part of the tool darker has some real advantages. But changed to using my system theme because when tabbing through the Scaling tool it quit highlighting the box it was on after the second (lowest) pixel count box so I couldn't tell when it was on the Save button but works fine using my system theme.

I do quite a bit of image cutting and then reassembly for mirror images. You have to get the pixels placed exactly right at the outer edges of the "new" image you are laying the segments on. The size of the images in the image pane are slightly different so I will need to experiment to get that sorted out. That is not a big deal, have to do it with every different sized monitor used anyway.

One irritation that I think I am filing a bug on when more coherent is that the images are saved to the file manager display rotated 90 degrees. Open in either Gimp or an image viewer they come up right so it is simply an irritation bug.

Splash screen is new and quite different. Nice. Changed some of the tool box icons. No biggy but it will take me some time to get used to it.

Over all, like the upgrade from 2.6 to 2.8, this looks like a good upgrade.

I am not at all familiar with PhotoShop but folks insist it is better at photo editing. Could be for all I know. All I know is that I am still just learning to do things I used to do in the darkroom. Gimp is a much better photo editor than I am. A better one would be wasted on me. In Gimp 95% of editing is a lot easier than doing it in a darkroom. Over/under exposure is actually easier to deal with than it is in Gimp. Not sure this could be any easier in PS. Really need something like Darktable for that and I haven't figured that application out yet.

Administrator

I've occasionally been forced to use Photo Shop when getting hold of a Linux/gimp machine simply wasn't going to happen easily. PS baffles me. The layout is decidedly illogical. The naming scheme often eludes me. Frankly, the results often look synthetic, very plastic. Everyone I know that swears by PS took fairly extensive classes.

Administrator

There are however some things that can be done easier/quicker than in gimp, and some of the features are even not available in gimp.

Administrator

Yes. Drag n drop, for example.