Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

I use chroot a lot to do my update/upgrade chores with numerous installs. I like to have the stuff dismounted when done so use umount to do this.

Normal usage by me is

# umount -AR /mnt/some & umount -AR /mnt/thing

using as many &'s as needed. The above is what is in use on this external drive that I am currently using for my main usage.

This works very well most of the time. I had some problems on the internal drives dismounting Mageia 5 but that was fixed by running

# fuser -c /mnt/Mageia5

before using umount.

But I also had some difficulties with pretty standard Debian installs, particularly Stable installs, sometimes. These were generally completely corrected by dismounting more than one install at a time rather than doing theme one at a time. Sometimes only one gets dismounted but just hitting the up arrow and doing the same command again will clear the bugger.

The other day I installed Devuan ascii (RC) and I am experiencing this problem with it. I just can't dismount the bugger at all if I just call for a umount of it by itself but have no problem doing so if umount calls for both installs.

I can even try umount on ascii and have it fail, try the fuser command and then try umount on it again and fail - but then use umount to dismount Xfce (sid based) which is never a problem and then run umount for ascii again and it will dismount with no complaints.

On this drive I am doing this almost always from Debian testing based install 'OB64' which is my default OS in the boot menu. Today I did umount for both

root@openbox:/home/tom# umount -AR /mnt/Xfce & umount -AR /mnt/Devuan

and both dismounted fine. But for the first time there was an added line in the output instead of simply a new # prompt

root@openbox:/home/tom# umount -AR /mnt/Xfce & umount -AR /mnt/Devuan
[1] 20429
root@openbox:/home/tom#

WTF is that supposed to mean? Looked in 'man umount' but there are no error codes listed. Looked in 'man mount' where there are error codes listed but none that are applicable to that output. Running the '[1] 20429' through a search engine in a number of different ways got me nothing at all to explain that output. Used, for instance, 'umount', 'debian' and 'debian umount' before the output to see if it turned up something along with some others that I can't remember but got nothing useful at all. This is pretty strange to me because running about any weird output messages turns them up in a search engine.

I did find this which may be useful in the future

If you suspect you have something left running in a chroot, sudo ls -l /proc/*/root | grep chroot will find the culprit (replace "chroot" with the path to the chroot).

but everything was dismounted when the strange output appeared.

Obviously not a real critical problem - just would like to know what that output means.

As I generally reboot into one or both other installs and run on them for a while to make sure everything is running as expected even a total failure to dismount is not an earth shaking problem.

Administrator

I made some minor punctuation and spelling corrections for better clarity.

I didn't find anything relevant either.

I'll be giving the same Devuan version a spin. Well, soon as I get this screwed up network to finish downloading it.

Administrator

I also adjusted the formatting code to what I think you meant it to be. Our code tags are a real bitch to deal with.

I had a thought, if you are chroot'ed from a Debian OS with systemd to Devuan without systemd, could that have something to do with it? It doesn't seem likely to me but nothing else comes to mind.

warfacegod wrote:

I also adjusted the formatting code to what I think you meant it to be. Our code tags are a real bitch to deal with.

I had a thought, if you are chroot'ed from a Debian OS with systemd to Devuan without systemd, could that have something to do with it? It doesn't seem likely to me but nothing else comes to mind.

Thanks

I don't think systemd/no systemd makes a difference at all. First off when running in chroot you are, except for the kernel, running on the system you are chrooted into. Also this is pretty identical to the problem I had with Mageia up until the current version and Mageia and Debian went to systemd at the same time and generally this problem is identical to what was happening with Mageia in a chroot then.

Just bewilders me. I think it is probably something that requires a lot of research.

Was hoping that whatever that silly [1] 20429 message output means might somehow point the way to at least learn something about it. But that seems to another mystery all on its own.

Funny thing is that I just had quite a shock in finding out about more English dialects like Geek which I am improving in - slowly. I thought taking a professional certification test as a pesticide applicator would be tough even though I had little problem passing the private pesticide applicators license test. I was under estimating, however, the scale of that difference by quite a lot. Have been working, under supervision of a licensed professional for 6 years however and thought I actually had some grounding in the specialized vocabulary. Was a damned nightmare.

I was shocked to find that I had actually passed the "Core" test and somewhat surprised that I passed the Montana required regulatory test but not nearly as much. Montana's Ag Dept apparently speaks that common dialect "American Agriculture" and writes things in it.

Took the damned tests about a week before I was ready but if you fail you can retake it in 7 days so I wanted to be able to get in that second try this month (which would have been tomorrow).

Would estimate that on the Core test I simply guessed at about 40% of the answers and seeing how you need 80% to pass that is a bit much. But I got the 80% or so the office in charge claims which is what matters.

So I have to blame the luck in those guesses on the gal I worked for from 2012 through 17. Kind of a strange gal fresh out of college when she started but had an attitude that employees, even old farts, should have continuous training. And dragged me to a number of such events and was continually sharing information, most way over my head, while we were working. Some of it must have stuck somewhere in the back of my skull. Or whatever portion of my anatomy I use for thinking.

Part of her motivation was that I was listed on her license as a "supervised applicator". Told me a couple years ago that she would not put anyone else on that list. Don't blame her a bit. The supervisor can be up to 100 miles away while you are spraying. If the "supervised" applicator then screws up there is really no consequence to the applicator at all because the person responsible for all errors or accidents in application is the license holder. We didn't make a habit of doing that sort of thing - much easier to have one person drive (me) and another do the actual application where they can watch exactly where they are spraying. But I did some every year simply because we had small jobs that needed done 'right now" - point in growth cycle and weather being crucial - separated by up to the entire width of the county (PRC is slightly larger than the state of Rhode Island).

But now I can put in an application for the PRC Weed Supervisor job that is open and the application needs in by the end of May.

Our Commissioners have pretty well castrated the Weed Dept. They liked the way it was before Gary, the first Supervisor I worked for, was hired. Was basically a slush fund for a lot of other things (possibly things like personal items the Commissioners wanted at home). Didn't like Gary's attitude at all but should have known better. But he was not qualified for the job really. We found a way out of date Supervisors Handbook put out by MT and got a kick out of it. Had recommendations for minimum qualifications. Turned out that between the 2 of us we did qualify for my job (Supervisor Assistant it is called - I want that officially changed to Weed Flunky).

After he refused to take it the next year again (chemicals bothered him a good bit) they tried to hire someone and I applied but they "lost" my application. Then offered the job to 3 other people who all, then, turned it down so had to redo the process. Didn't loose my application that time but they interviewed the only other applicant (Jen) and hired her. She didn't believe me when I told her they hired her because she is a small (very short) woman, young and has a great (better than Dan Quayle) deer in the headlights look if you give her a challenging question. Believes it now.

Unfortunately she is damned sharp. I was going to be a pain in the ass for them. They want a lot of illegal things done. She was worse, in their perspective, she actually knew HOW to be a pain and what EXACTLY was illegal.

Weird but really a great gal. Married a local guy and now they are stuck with her in the community and know damned well she will report anything that they do wrong.

But it took them 5 years to get rid of her. 4 years they really worked at trying to get her to quit. Cut her time from full to part time to make it take longer to get full retirement benefits. She got that so she can withdraw the entire fund, including the part put in by the County and pay off some debts.

She pushed me to apply (what a friend) simply because she wants someone that will follow the damned rules.

Pretty sure that if they have ANY other candidates that will take the job I haven't got a chance. But they have to have the job filled and there is a pretty good chance that no one is going to take the job unless they are simple. So I would say that has to apply to me. But also I would just love to have the job just to piss the bastards off.

I have a new book, 23 whole pages. entitled
Montana State Laws and Regulations Pertaining to the Use of Pesticide
which is not a real page burner in spite of costing $15.

I know the number for the State Weed Supervisor who supervises the County Supervisors (who really likes Jen and I have spent a day with myself). Also know the nearest sub office in charge of doing his field work.

That is 3 reasons that the County is likely to be opposed to hiring me. They know me which makes 4 reasons. I know them which makes 7 reasons. But they may not have a choice simply because the job pays for shit being Seasonal Part time and the crappy building and equipment (equipment is about 300% better than when Gary and I started - that is the Flunkies job).

Am going to consult with the previous Supervisor tomorrow sometime to find out what is actually going on at the Court House (she has inside "leakers" that like her and trust she will not finger them).

And also to give her hell for being the one to blame for my passing the damned test at the first attempt. Gary had to take it 3 times and he probably understood the Government Lacky English Dialect better than me with his background in Law Enforcement (badged, armed State Brand Inspector for Powder River County - the guy that, for one thing, investigates and makes arrests for livestock rustling - he died and 2 people at his funeral that he arrested spoke at it about what a great guy he was). Jen with a BS degree in Range Management and 4 years experience working summers as a Flunky (last one she was mainly in the office of a new Supervisor doing things like write up the County Weed Policy on her own) had to take it a second time.

Tests are damned buggers. And that core test assumes you have experience working in cubicles which people that have spent their lives working as farm hand, orchard hand and ranch hand really have very little experience with.

Today is the first day since taking the damned things last Friday that my brain doesn't feel like total mush.

Administrator

Try: umount weed spray&&mushy brains

congrats be fun to see how this turns out.
dinga

For more fun I got this as the output today in place of the [1] 20429 I got [1] 14200.

Have no idea what this is supposed to mean at all.

But the buggers are dismounted and that is good enough for me.

Administrator

It's usually at this point that I do a fresh install to see if it goes away. It's probably one of those ICE things in your /home folder.

warfacegod wrote:

It's usually at this point that I do a fresh install to see if it goes away. It's probably one of those ICE things in your /home folder.

Interesting idea. I may do that eventually.

Problem with it is that the install is pretty much brand new. Something like 2 weeks. Had the problem dismounting the first time I chrooted into it which was after doing just a base system install so that I could put in an apt.conf file to block recommends before installing all the xorg and DE related stuff.

As Devuan only provides install media for their Stable version and, as in this case, their pending new Stable as an RC I got the RC intending to upgrade to their testing or unstable branch.

This was an ongoing problem with Mageia in versions 4 and 5 that is no longer a problem with Mageia 6. One theory I had was that there was some compatibility problem between Debian and Mageia. This could be a problem but if I booted into Mageia and did my update/upgrade chores from there I had no problem with any Debian installs (2 testing, 2 sid, 1 stable). Also running from any Debian version had that problem with the stable Mageia. The fuser command would correct the Mageia problem with no problem.