Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

Don't piss them off right?

Actually I think most Asians have a temper that know no bounds at times. And a memory like an elephant to go with that too. So I'm dead meat no matter what then.

I know that the ROKAF pilots were mean. First time in Kunsan AB I worked Phase Docks on the F-4D's. There was a ROKAF Master Sargent that would come and see if he could scrounge some parts and things for the F-86's he worked on. We'd help him out at times. Liked the guy. Always had a good conversation with him and was learning what it was like on his side. One morning he came in with a black eye. Asked what the hell happened to him. Said he was strapping a pilot in and dropped a pin. Pilot popped him one and knocked him off. Pilot had another crew chief launch him out. Ouch. Mean mothers.

I'd see the ROK army troops out in the early morning doing their exercises. They'd be doing pushups If the guy in charge didn't like the way someone was doing them he'd give them a kick in the side and they'd roll down hill. They'd have to come back into place and start over on their pushups.
Ahhh, no thanks. They were at tad bit rough for me to be in. But they really had the strength.

Getting back to homeless, I read a study this morning that shows that the cost of living in the last 20 years has gone up 30% while wages has not gone up at all. Even 2 income families cannot afford to buy a home or have children. In most cities a single person needs to have 2 jobs to afford to rent a one bedroom apartment.

Administrator

Yeah, that sort of business is happening in some cities here too. Munich and Hamburg have been difficult in that respect for a long time, and Berlin is getting very difficult these days too.

There seems to be this crazy idea that the market regulates itself, and affordable housing just happens. Funnily enough, what the real-estate industry actually builds is luxury apartments that can be rented for top dollar. I don't really understand why, but real-estate investors don't seem to be too keen on building apartments that lower-income people can afford, or even normal-income, if it comes to that.

If the city and/or the state doesn't actively take steps to make sure affordable accomodation is available, sooner or later "normal" people can't afford to live in the city any more.

Administrator

The thing is that wages have gone up but at a slower rate than the cost of living. Geometric vs. exponential increase.

I once had the opportunity to leaf through an old Sears catalog from the 1910's to 20's or there abouts. In other words, a hundred years ago. You could buy a house. They would get you an acre of land. Show up, one day, start digging and hammering and shit and, get this, BUILD you a damned house. For $5,000.

Administrator

Oh, and I just got fired.

Administrator

... and just got my job back.

I don't need to ask what you did to get fired, but what did you do to get your job back?

He probably put a 'Mojo' on them again.

Administrator

I was fired because of corporate games. My boss fought the good fight.

Administrator

Good boss