Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

Devuan 2.0.0 with mate desktop loaded with no problems, every thing I have tried has worked. I have had no problems at all with it. Only problem I have now is I need to change the password on my Router. I know in theory how to get to the router I just seem to be missing something in the process of getting there. If I do not figure it out soon I will ask for help.
dinga

Administrator

Your router should have an IP address on the sticker. Enter that into your address bar in your web browser.

nubimax wrote:

I have settled on using Devuan 2.o.o with Mate desktop for my main Computer. Looks and feels a lot like Wheezy to me.

dinga.

I am running on Devuan ascii (Xfce) and find it runs pretty well. Have a very few issues with it but they are all pretty much weird packages I like to run or can be easily worked around.

I do run a some Mate applications - pluma, system monitor and engrampa - and they all work great.

I find it boots up very fast. The only stable install I have on here right now.

Been using it a lot lately so I can finish my studies in Gimp 2.8 on creating water reflection type images from photos I have. Gimp 2.10 seems to be a big improvement in most ways I have seen but it is a BIG change and I want to finish getting my methods down a bit better and get some printed out using software I know something about.

One thing that 2.10 does is actually put exif info in jpg files which is great but currently this causes landscape oriented finished images created from 2 portrait oriented images to create thumbnails that are portrait oriented which really sucks and I need to figure out how to get that to work right because I only like "icon" file manager display for working photos and that makes them harder to spot fast.

All other problems are with the tools I use which have all changed quite a bit and will need to be studied to be able to configure them to do what I am attempting to do.

Will take a bit of work and time and I am about to the point of actually getting what I want out of 8.2.

But I have been very impressed with Devuan and think that they are doing a great job for as small a team as they have. Really runs extremely well and I give it a pretty good beating. Currently only have 9 windows open on 8 workstations (1 empty) with 12 browser tabs open on 2 windows of Palemoon, 2 windows of Thunar with mixed display (detailed list and icon) and 5 tabs open there. Running very cool and smoothly.

Got the router password changed. Problem was Google owned both the search bar and the Browser bar, so when I put in the IP address I got definitions of the router IP address. and not access to the router. Being Halt lame and 3/4 blind took a while to see what was going on.
Devuan is working great for me probably because I am use to using the mate desktop.
dinga

Administrator

One of the major advantages to Devuan is no systemd. This dramatically reduces the possibility of dependency hell when installing packages.

Good to see you got Devuan going. I've read where others like it as well.

I have now got duck duck go Installed as main browser. Either FF or Google did not like me doing that Had to jump through a few hoops but it is done.
dinga

Google can be a royal pain in ass at times. Wonder if it was FF acting up with it.

I think it was FF this time.