Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

I order a new laptop for the good lady last night, I had planed on this for a Xmas present but with this forum back I thought she would like it for our annual trip to Hilton Head Island. it is a HP i5-cco23 15.6" touch screen laptop with intel i5 processor 12GB memory 1TB hard drive. Her old Fujitsu is still around but the cd drive died years ago and it must be 10 or 12 years old, while still in Mexico I stuck ubuntu 8.04 on (32 bit) runs that just fine. The Toshiba laptop some how broke the electrical plug inside the laptop, but while our son was here he manage to the electrical hooked back up as long as you don't unhook it it is usable. I know I have had the Toshiba for at lest 8 years so it was time for a new laptop.

Administrator

Very nice.

The socket for the electrical plug is probably just a lose contact and can be easily soldered back on if it's not too hard to get the case open.

It turned out to be the connector that holds it in place was broken, the kid got it back together with lots of screws left over. He could not get it all apart but hold the connector with a pair of needle nose pliers. with my vision I can not even see the screws.
dinga

That laptop reminds me of this tech I knew when working for Xerox. The first time I met him he pulls out his laptop and starts sticking screwdrivers into the monitor. Had about three in it. Then sticks one more in there and had me hold it in place while he looked up some parts we needed on a copier. I was laughing my ass off at him telling him to get a new monitor or a new laptop. Told me about a month later that he had them order an new monitor and he replaced the old one. Boy was always losing tools. Would leave them some place and go back and of course nobody had seen them. But I'll never forget that damn monitor of his. :)

Ups Truck sitting in front of the for 5 minutes, asked what is up. He says I am suppose to have a laptop here for you but I can't find it. Then he says maybe it is on another truck. Me I don't know what to think.

Damn. And I thought I had memory trouble. That driver got me beat on that one. Hopefully either he or another one will show up with it today or tomorrow. Wonder if they will return later since for residential deliveries they can deliver even later than that of businesses. Hopefully will be back today for you with it.

Hooray laptop arrived 5:30 this evening will put Sparky on it tomorrow morning. It has a nasty on it at the moment.
dinga

Sweeet!!!! Good to hear it's there. Bet it's going to be flying when you put Sparky on it.

I am having lots of difficulties trying to get passes Windows 10 that came with this Laptop to load Sparky. So far can get it to read the DVD drive. took most of the afternoon to get to where it says load from USB or DVD device. When I get back from Hilton Head will be starting a help post on this.
dinga

...Dinga, you might have to get BIOS to Legacy mode...bit of a pain but you can then install Linux...