Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.
Administrator

Mirknight wrote:

...running each app in a separate VM can't be efficient...

As far as I know, that is "server tactics". For a machine that has to be as reliable and robust as possible, use of resources is not the governing issue.

Placing each application in a seperate VM means that any given application can crash and be restarted without affecting anything else that is running in any way at all. That no doubt uses more resources, but makes the machine overall very robust.

Several of the distros mentioned in the thread are Systemd-free. While systemd isn't perfect, it just had new vulnerabilities found and patched today, it got rid of kernel panics that I used to run into far too frequently. I should really look into some systemd-free distros....

audiomick wrote:

As far as I know, that is "server tactics". For a machine that has to be as reliable and robust as possible, use of resources is not the governing issue.

Placing each application in a separate VM means that any given application can crash and be restarted without affecting anything else that is running in any way at all. That no doubt uses more resources, but makes the machine overall very robust.

Very true. I wonder how it does updates for Win apps. Don't think it has Win Update Manager so I'm curious if updates are done manually and for each app... Worth a look.

Administrator

Mirknight wrote:

...Don't think it has Win Update Manager so I'm curious if updates are done manually and for each app... Worth a look.

That sounds potentially rather tedious. 😉

Administrator

Most windows applications have an update automatically option in their settings.

For things that matter, like Rufus and video games not supported by Linux, yes. For things like Win File manager and win photo viewer (shown in QubesOS screenshots) I'm not so sure. I booted into Windows to check but couldn't find a way to update within those apps

Administrator

Granted, it's been years since I bothered with windows. I do remember apps like Firefox, CCleaner, and glary utilities having internal update functions. I'd venture a guess and say most anti-virus software do as well.

True. But the Qubes intro I saw showed a fair amount of MS utilities.... Might be a way to update them manually but I'd have to ask someone who uses dindows for more than Rufus