Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

I have an Epson 1430 printer.

I've added a continuous supply ink system.

The manual was useless so I had to utube all instructions.

There are 2 tabs on the bank of cartridges that are to be held for x seconds each. I've done that about 30 times now without results.

I think the CISS is from InkGhost but will not know until I'm discharged from hospital.

Any and all help/suggestions will be much appreciated.

I'd love to get this up and running as I've printed 36 A3 sheets and the 36th was the photo that didn't need the black to start running out. I'm also keen to see the results on the glossy canvas paper the I have. I've used matt canvas, plain paper and glossy photo, all with terrific results.

Nick I have a question on that. I tried looking it up but all were reverting to printer issue. I don't know if Ubuntu has something called 'ink' in the synaptic or not but worth a shot. At one time I could had sworn I was able to check levels with the tools in system but now seems only way I can do that is with the terminal. Pain in rear but works. Here is a link showing what I'm talking about: http://ink.sourceforge.net/

I type in in ink -p usb in user terminal and get the following:

~$ ink -p usb
ink 0.5.2 (c) 2015 Markus Heinz

Hewlett-Packard PSC 750

Black:                                  84%
Color:                                  73%

Know it's a pain but is one option that I could think of off the top of head after reading about some of the issues they were talking about on some sites and were usually blaming the product and printer not reading.
Couldn't hurt to check if installed and if it would give a good reading for you.

Sorry. Was best I could come up with when trying to track something similar and a fix for you.
I'm thinking that if this is tried it might tell for sure if the system is seeing the levels of toner or not. Might give a start in trouble shooting. Could it be a faulty sensor in the added system or something along that line also comes into mind.

I am way out of date on this put I remember reading 8 or 10 years ago that epson printers did not work well with linux, do not know if that is still the case.
dinga

I was same line of thought as you on the Epson and Linux not working together very well but didn't know if they ever got the systems to work or not.

Copiers/printers can be a royal pain even when working them on Windows too. Have to watch the settings due to some will lie to you saying they're out of toner when they still had plenty in there. I would always make sure that the customers had plenty of toner, drums, waste containers to cover them due to some being basically a 24/7 operation. Even then at times would get calls when on way home. Would tell them I'd come in early the next day to take care of that and would tell them where to go get what needed from another customer. Told them to tell individual I'd replace what was taken when I got in next day. They knew I took care of them and didn't give a second thought.

But I'd try that Ink thing and see if the pc is seeing the printer's ink at all. According to site it works with epson systems. So might be of use. I do know that it's the only way I can see toner levels in my HP one.

I don't actually have a printer hooked to my box currently. Print from my wife's laptop when I need to print.

But not ever hearing about this ink package I ran
$ acs ink

which is a CLI command for Debian package management no matter the exact distro. The 'acs' is a personal alias for
apt-cache search

This is where Synaptic gets its descriptions from too but I prefer the CLI usage as I can open a number of tabs and get easily comparable descriptions when looking up packages that do similar things.

But the description reads
Description-en: tool for checking the ink level of your local printer
Ink is a command line tool based on libinklevel5 to check ink level
of your local printer.
Printers of Canon, Epson, HP and Sony are supported. Complete list
can be found at README.Debian of libinklevel5 package.

So it ought to deal with your printer.

I find your opinion on Epson printers really interesting. Second time in the last week or so that some photographer has bragged on older Epsons. I really need to get a printer for printing photos. Guess I better be looking at some Epson printers.

HP has always played nicely with Linux also. If remember right before both Brother and Epson were kinda at bottom of list for working good with Linux.

...thanks everyone...still hospital bound and could be for 5 /6 more days...

...g'day ranchhand...I bought the Epson as a stand alone A3 printer...on the recommendation of a couple of experts and the fact that I could add the CISS...I got to 36 prints with the original cartridges when the black started running dry...fabulous prints with terrific true to picture colour and quality...surprising results on plain paper...

...the CISS consists of a bank of, not individual, cartridges connected to an external bank of 'ink tanks'...there's currently a min of 50ml of ink in each part of thr system...there's two tabs that need to be held for x number of seconds, consecutively...I've done that as that is supposed to r
eset the system so that the CISS is recognised...done that a min of 30 times without luck...

...when I'm able to , I'll have another go at the resetting...as I said in the original post, the manual needed a bit moreattention from the OEM...at least 90% of installation info was missing...I had to utube installation and recognition info...

...thanks to all for your suggestions...as I say, it may be a few days before I get a chance to sort this...:-)

...sorry I won't be able to sort this out...was really hopin' to print up a few more phots...

...thanks for all your help...

Well that is a real bummer.

...we'll close this one as solved...I going to give the printer to good mate and he uses that pc virus called M$...he's got a mate, up near where he lives, who is a bit of a techno wiz...

...between the pair of 'em, I reckon they'll get the system workin'...

...thanks for all yer help...