Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.
Banned

Deleted.

Some distros don't automatically work with wifi when installed. Did you check to see what's required to be installed from the Centos repos for wifi to work yet?
Maybe someone here in the forum has used it and can help better but was wondering if you had checked on that. I'm wondering if the Network manager is installed. Can't remember the command at the moment to give you. One of the others here will probably have that off the top of their head. Give someone some time to read the post and provide a better answer to you.

Also sounds like you will need to identify the wifi card in your laptop and then look up in the repos for the firmware. I'm not sure if Centos is a distro that installs everything it it's repos like Ubuntu does. But someone else and I was talking about this and he passed this link to me on wifi and Centos.

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless/Broadcom?fbclid=IwAR3ixbLZxKSusBIa4zrdatVyYgpjTLO5GTDrd32CF_RA8pn-fDSdVZ6X9P8

https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Laptops/Wireless

Try looking at the second link first. Might help better. First link talks about Broadcom.

Personally I've only tried Centos once and that was years ago on a DVD. Have you looked at some of the other distros as well??

https://distrowatch.com/

Someone was suggesting maybe Fedora. Don't know. I do know that the live worked w/o any issues on my laptop but that was a few years ago. I have an Asus A53s.

Open a terminal and you will see a
$

prompt. At that prompt type
lspci

The first character of that command is a lower case L.

You wifi hardware should be shown in the output. This should include the manufacturers name and the model. If you can't make out what line in the output is for your wifi post the entire output.

Administrator

Turns out, the User who started the thread was most likey a Bot. I deleted a post here that was a quote of the first post with a bunch of links added to it. I've seen that a couple of times here. The user has been banned. Thanks for trying to help. ☺️

audiomick wrote:

Turns out, the User who started the thread was most likey a Bot. I deleted a post here that was a quote of the first post with a bunch of links added to it. I've seen that a couple of times here. The user has been banned. Thanks for trying to help. ☺️

Thanks for your good work. Seemed a strange question to me somehow.

Kind of sorry I missed the second post. I can live without it. Particularly the links.

Administrator

ranchhand wrote:

Seemed a strange question to me somehow.

That's the pattern. Seen it, as I said, four of five times here. It starts with an innocent post like that one was, the first post from a new user. They have all been slightly odd questions, but not odd enough to say that it is definitely a bot.

Nothing happens for a day or two, maybe someone will answer. Then a new post from the user turns up. It is simply a quote of the first one (so you didn't miss anything there...), maybe with something like "thanks for the help" or "I've solved my issue" or something on the end.

The trick is, in the quoted text, there have been links inserted that weren't there in the first post that was quoted. I reckon the theory is, if the thread survives the first look from a mod, it might not get looked at again, and the links might survive longer in the forum. Maybe they are even sophisticated enough to only put in the second post when there has been action in the thread. Anyway, it is spam, and they get deleted and banned here. 😁

audiomick wrote:

ranchhand wrote:

Seemed a strange question to me somehow.

That's the pattern. Seen it, as I said, four of five times here. It starts with an innocent post like that one was, the first post from a new user. They have all been slightly odd questions, but not odd enough to say that it is definitely a bot.

Nothing happens for a day or two, maybe someone will answer. Then a new post from the user turns up. It is simply a quote of the first one (so you didn't miss anything there...), maybe with something like "thanks for the help" or "I've solved my issue" or something on the end.

The trick is, in the quoted text, there have been links inserted that weren't there in the first post that was quoted. I reckon the theory is, if the thread survives the first look from a mod, it might not get looked at again, and the links might survive longer in the forum. Maybe they are even sophisticated enough to only put in the second post when there has been action in the thread. Anyway, it is spam, and they get deleted and banned here. 😁

I actually understand quite well. I actually did a lot of that stuff for the old Stoner Edition forum. Small outfit but good traffic. But got at least 7 or 8 of those creeps weekly sometimes it seemed like a whole herd of the buggers would run through the place.

Got so we would see how good a track we could get on the IP address. Sometimes we got several that were in the same city block as a half dozen we had already blocked. Just about had to be the same people.

Links in text. Links in signatures. Links in PMs.

But with a name like that you can hardly be surprised either.