Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

has any one found a work around to get adblock working? If I don't find some thing soon I think I will give up the internet. firefox keeps telling me it is fixed but it is not on any of the five ISO's that I am using.
If I can get it to work on either devuan or zorin I could live with that if not recommend a distro that ad block will work on.
dinga

Administrator

Have you installed the latest version of Firefox?

I have got adblock to work on zorin from what I am finding out it is going to be a challenge to get an update of firefox on devuan. might be easier to go back to debian and get an update of firefox for that ISO. Sorry if I am not clear had a cancer taken off my forehead this morning and now got a headache.

dinga

Have yoi installed ublock? tends to block a lot of shit. Maybe update the hosts.list as well. I've not used adblock in a long time now.

Administrator

I got a message from Firefox the other day on both the Windows and the Ubuntu machine that adblock had been disabled because the plug-in doesn't conform to the current (new? changed?) mozilla specs.

I haven't looked into alternatives yet,, and I'm hoping a bit that the ad-block people will sort it soon.

GB's suggestion of using an alternative migth be the simplest for now. Haven't tried ublock myself, so I can't comment on it specifically.

Edit: hang on, I think it was ad-block plus that was cancelled. But that is the same mob, isn't it?

another edit: no, they are not the same mob. Adblock plus here
adblock plus

but, from here
AdBlock

Since 2016 AdBlock has been based on the Adblock Plus source code.

so the problem is likely to be related.

The problem as I see it is that devuan will not let you upgrade from firefox esr. the only work around that I have found calls for you to change your sources list, add a key ring, then find a deb pkg to allow a newer version of firefox. my trouble with that is the fonts in the root terminal are so small I can see them even with my magnifying glass. maybe after the eye surgery I will be able to see things that small. Thinking now of putting debian on the main computer and going with that till after the surgery.
@GB ublock will not download to firefox esr. but thanks for the info

dinga

nubimax wrote:

The problem as I see it is that devuan will not let you upgrade from firefox esr. the only work around that I have found calls for you to change your sources list, add a key ring, then find a deb pkg to allow a newer version of firefox. my trouble with that is the fonts in the root terminal are so small I can see them even with my magnifying glass. maybe after the eye surgery I will be able to see things that small. Thinking now of putting debian on the main computer and going with that till after the surgery.
@GB ublock will not download to firefox esr. but thanks for the info

dinga

I have been using
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

Actually using the same address but with .html instead of .txt since Win98. I have never used an addblocker.

They are a scam. They make money by NOT BLOCKING sites that pay them. This guy looks for where the adds come from and doesn't "block" at all like an addblocker.

Add blockers block the domain name in your browser. This is not the ip address.

This text file goes in your /etc/hosts file and just adds a few thousand lines to it. Each line is like the ones in this sample
0.0.0.0 banners.adnetmedia.lt
0.0.0.0 delivery.adnetwork.vn
0.0.0.0 img.adnet.com.tr
0.0.0.0 www.ad-net.co.uk
0.0.0.0 adnext.fr
0.0.0.0 srv.adngin.com
0.0.0.0 ad.adnow.com
0.0.0.0 acdn.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 speednetwork14.adk2.co
0.0.0.0 cdn.oas-c17.adnxs.com
0.0.0.0 tt11.adobe.com

When you try to connect to any domain, most people know that the domain name needs to be translated to an actual ip address and the request is therefore sent to a dns (domain name server) and there is a list, pretty much like these lines and it goes through until it finds the right domain name and then sends it to the assigned correct Ipv4 address.

What people don't know generally is that isn't the first place that the request goes. The DEFAULT FIRST place to look up a domain name, no matter what OS you are using, is the /*/hosts file (I don't remember where that is in Windows and don't, frankly care).

As you can see in the first column is a very simple Ipv4 address. 0.0.0.0 which is another way of expressing 127.0.0.1 which is the address of your current OS. If you have 45 installs on your drives they all have that same address and use it when you are booted into them.

So when you open a site and it sends, through your browser, a request for
refer.ccbill.com

your system goes to work and checks the hosts file and finds
0.0.0.0 refer.ccbill.com #[Tracking.Cookie][Google.Diagnostic]

and connects it to

And you get all the stuff that "site" has that belongs to that domain name. Not a damned thing. And neither do they.

Blocklist is updated about every 2 months.

You may find that some sites don't work. I have run into maybe a dozen or so in the last 21 years of using this. They aren't worth accessing generally but if you really want to all you need do is use the search function in your favorite text editor and plug in the domain name of the failed site. Hit enter. Will take you to it if, indeed it actually exists, and all you need to do is (as root or editing with sudo) comment out that line. Save file. Go try the site again. It will now work because it is no longer being directed to a safe and empty address. Will still check the hosts file, will not find the domain name, will send the request on to your ISP which probably has a dns server. If it can't find it the request goes on to a bigger dns.

Don't block adds. Block toxic servers. Most of the servers on that list are used to serve up malware, scams and watering hole attacks. That is a major business for them and they know it. And their well meaning attempts at blocking it are just as well meaning and effective as those of FB and Guggle.

Just gets worse by the year.

There are sites that still sell adds themselves. Click on those adds. Those sites don't use the more lucrative malware add providers. They put their personal name on the line but offering you adds. Adds they have approved. They can't go to court and say well we get adds from Guggle and that is their responsibility. Click on them and give them a few pennies for that hit without a large chunk of it going to Guggle or the other sleazy companies in that racket.

If you use Windows use that same address above with the .html instead of .txt. Will get the main page and there is a link for the actual .exe file you need for Win JerryLewis Pro or whatever version of Win you use and just download it and execute it to have it put itself in your hosts file.

In Linux you need to add it to your /etc/hosts manually. Which is faster. Just put it below the current stuff in that file. Some will be duplicated - this is not a problem.