Open Linux Forums
Like Ubuntu forums, except with beer.

I believe that I told you that the good lady bought a TV, a nice big 55 inch TV from Samsung? It has now started turning itself on at odd times. I fixed that using wfg method ie unplug the damn thing. I remember reading somewhere that Samsung smart TV's had a way to spy on its users as I remember it had some to do with what advertising it would send you. seems funny to me that Samsung would want to hear a couple of old farts talking to their dog.

Administrator

I don't believe that it would just go on to spy or show you ads. The world isn't that far yet. 😀

More than likely, there is a timer somewhere in the setting that has been activated, either to turn on, or to record something.

As far as spying on the users go: if the thing is connected to the internet (I believe you said it was...), it will probably be telling Samsung what you watch, and maybe what ads you switch away from. I can't say whether this might influence the ads you see. On a "normal" TV channel, most unlikely, in the internet, very possible.

Another thing that occurs to me: maybe the thing is scheduled to run updates at specific intervals or something like that. Again, you'd have to search through the settings and look for things like that.

I almost never watch it, the good lady watches once or twice a month but I have not watched this year for sure. I think I watched it last November. If Samsung wants to know what programs we watch they will not get much information.

Administrator

My guess is as mick said. It could be it's updating itself. While I am gratified to know my time tested methods still serve you well, I would be cautious about pulling the plug. If it is updating, killing the power in the middle of a critical update may well brick the TV.

Definitely go through the settings menu and be sure it isn't set up to auto-update.

Oh, and don't tell mick I agreed with him. I'll never hear the end of it.

Administrator

nubimax wrote:

.... If Samsung wants to know what programs we watch they will not get much information.

Perfect. 😀

warfacegod wrote:

Oh, and don't tell mick I agreed with him. I'll never hear the end of it.

Mwaaahhaahahahahahaha 😉

And I was sitting here with my mouth shut and audiomick found out anyway. You guy's will never know how much I enjoy everyone here. It sure beats going to the quacks and letting him whittle on you. dinga

Administrator

It's because we're all batshit crazy. Full on, out of our trees, whackaloons! While quacks are just quacks and often pretty boring quacks at that.

Administrator

Speaking of, does anyone know what a white Dr. is called? A quacker.

Administrator

The Voices have assured me that I am perfectly normal. 😉

You're normal? Ahh Fuck. I'm really needing my bouncing icon back again. I miss that. Think, I'll annoy wfg and go write my poetry again.